- Last Updated: Wednesday, 15 February 2017 13:40
At Connecting Point Computer Centers we value our customer’s happiness and safety. When you learn to surf the web in a safe and knowledgeable manner, it can be a much more enjoyable experience. Below are a few ways to protect yourself and others from internet scams and malware.
Malware: software that is intended to damage or disable computers and computer systems.
Spyware: software that enables a user to obtain covert information about another's computer activities by transmitting data covertly from their hard drive.
Adware: software that automatically displays or downloads advertising material (often unwanted) when a user is online.
- Passwords protect many things. Making them harder to guess by using upper case letters mixed with lower case and numbers can help. Or even use the letters from your favorite song with its year it was made. A password based on Mary Had a Little Lamb would be: Mhall1830.
- Microsoft and other companies will -Never- call you to tell you there is a virus or fixes on your computer without you calling them first for assistance. This type of phone cyber scam is becoming more prevalent.
- Also pop ups saying 'Your Computer May Be at Risk' and asking you click a link to fix it. These are scams that install malware.
- Emails are susceptible to scams as well some known as Phishing which is the fraudulent practice of sending emails purporting to be from reputable companies in order to induce individuals to reveal personal information, such as passwords and credit card numbers.
In 2014 Yahoo was hacked and over 500 Million users were affected. A more recent count estimates over 1 Billion account have been affected.
What should you do if you have a Yahoo account?
First and foremost, you'll want to immediately change your password. Then you need to change your security questions and answers. Security is of the utmost importance!
With more knowledge of these dangers we hope our customers will have a safer and more enjoyable time surfing the World Wide Web.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns.
Our experienced and certified service engineers are here
to help and ensure you have a safe web surfing experience.